Sunday, February 11, 2007

Adoption!

The adoption process has been started.

We sent Lawyer Lisa a check in January and a few days ago she sent us an e-mail that she was sending the paperwork to DtD. I then called the boy and gave him a heads-up because I would rather him hear details from us than have papers show up in the mail with no warning. Ever since we surprised him with the six month clause in the contract and the resulting negative reaction, I've been dedicated to make sure he learns about things from us when it comes to Project Baby. It's much, much better that way.

He'll sign the paperwork now and then he'll have 48 hours after the birth to reconsider.

On our end, we have to hire a social worker for a home visit and then wait for our court date. My understanding is that the court date can take two or three months, but I'm sincerely hoping that by jumping on all this now and filing right when little boy is born, we can make this move as fast as possible. I want it all done!

Truthfully, I'm the most nervous about this as I've been during the entire time. This is IT, the moment when DtD could change his mind and plunge our lives into hell. My gut trusts him but my mind doesn't like how real the possibility has become. I deal so much better with the theoretical. I will be very happy when we hit that 48 hours after LB's arrival.

M. will be his legal parent before I get off maternity leave. I'm so happy. If I weren't getting hugely pregnant, I might jump around and squeal.

We just bought his coming home outfit (will post picture when we have a free surface in the house, which will be today). We'll have to buy an adoption day outfit as well. So fantastic.

4 Comments:

At 2/11/2007 2:47 PM, Blogger tifferny said...

crossing fingers, toes and any other body part that 'crosses'. :)

btw, i think you and m. are handling this so beautifully. kudos to you both for preemptively
preparing all the legal stuff. expectations will be set beforehand and that is so good for everyone involved. although it is only human to have some concern, i just know everything will work out fabulously in the end for you and m.

glad the house is coming along well. can't wait to see the outfits!

 
At 2/12/2007 7:58 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Yay! I hope everything goes well!!!

 
At 2/12/2007 8:31 AM, Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

That's great that he can fill out the paperwork beforehand. We had to wait 78 hours AFTER the birth for our KD to terminate his parental rights.

I agree it's one of the most stressful parts of this whole thing.

 
At 2/12/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

It must be hideously stressful, but I'm sure that DtD will come good with it all and stick to the arrangements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home