Saturday, March 31, 2007

11:45 Back from Labor Land

We called the on-call doc and they told us to head into Labor Land to get checked out. Neither M. nor I really wanted to go to the hospital, so we compromised and waited a couple hours then headed that way.

Uh, yeah.

Not a really fun experience. I told the nurse that my water had broken, we wanted to get checked out and then we would like to go home for a bit. She responded that if my water was indeed broken, we wouldn't be going home. We told her that we'd arranged differently with Dr. G.

I agreed to an internal and they did one with a freakin' speculum that HURT like a mofo.

Oh, and the moment I walked into triage, my contractions STOPPED.

And the best part...they didn't believe that my water had broken.

My water didn't just break. It's been flowing for a good six hours now. It's not a sudden, horrid bout of incontinence. My membranes have RUPTURED and there is amniotic fluid trickling down my legs and soaking through my clothes.

They seriously tested it about six times before it ferned.

The funny part...when I realized that they couldn't confirm amniotic fluid, I also realized that they couldn't try to keep me in the hospital. So I decided to try to hide all my leakage from the nurse. Didn't work out so well, but we still managed to escape.

It took a lot of work but we got them to let us go home. We're going back around dinner time tonight and in the meantime, are going to work on getting labor started.

Time to bake my early labor birthday cake.

11 Comments:

At 3/31/2007 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow.
I hope you get loads of rest between now & the big show.
xoxo

 
At 3/31/2007 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to keep it on your terms. Keep up the good fight. Thinking of you three. Scoutgjee

www.whataboutmylifeplan.wordpress.com

 
At 3/31/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Lides said...

Stay hydrated! And be sure to eat, especially before heading back in, as you never can know for sure what the nurses will allow/will not allow.

Wishing you all the best!!

 
At 3/31/2007 2:14 PM, Blogger Alayna said...

Delurking to say good luck and we're so excited for you both!

 
At 3/31/2007 2:55 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

That's funny. The midwives were set to test my water breakage but just looked at my pad and said, "Yep, it's your waters." :P

I hope everything progresses nicely for you. I'm sure they'll limit the internal exams due to the bacteria risk. The one internal I had when I got to the hospital hurt like a MOFO too. Awful. It will be nicer when you're more dilated, etc. I remember trying to get away from the doctor and the midwife and nurse telling me to relax. Yeah, right.

Do they limit eating in the hospital? I asked about that and I was told I could eat whenever I wanted. I was worried I'd not eat and then be starving and it'd be too late to eat anything. LOL

Thinking of you today. Hope everything goes smoothly and LB makes his grand entrance soon. Can't wait to hear about his birth and see pictures of the boy and his two happy mommies. :)

Do try and rest. I found it impossible because it's all too exciting. :P

 
At 3/31/2007 2:56 PM, Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

Yay, I'm glad you were able to escape :-)

 
At 3/31/2007 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! Happy labor thoughts.

I had a similar experience with water breaking. The nurses had confirmed it, but I was sent to get a sonogram. The technician said "So, we are going to check and see if your water broke?" My husband said, sarcastically, "Is that what all that stuff on the floor and running down her leg is?"

 
At 3/31/2007 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tis Meredith from Rainbow Conceptions...
You're in my thoughts today as you prepare for the arrival of LB. My contractions are picking up too - so maybe our kiddos will share a birthday!

Good luck!

 
At 3/31/2007 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I can't wait. This is GREAT. GOOD LUCK

 
At 3/31/2007 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy labor vibes coming your way! The internals are a lot less awful once you are more dilated. GOOD LUCK!!!! http://dandlioneyes.diaryland.com

oh, and a neat resource: contractionmaster.com -- it times contractions for you....

 
At 3/31/2007 4:52 PM, Blogger party b said...

I'm so impressed you escaped. I was worried you wouldn't be back when you said you were stopping in.

Points for sassy chicks who defy the universal hospital rules for labor!!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home