Sunday, March 25, 2007

Welcome to (not yet in) Laborland

No, I'm not in labor.

But we did get to visit Laborland today in the form of triage at the Baby Factory. Our doc didn't want me to go through the weekend without another NST.

How was Laborland?

Not too much fun. It started with the nursing assistant who asked if I could lie on my side. I answered that I'd stay propped on my back since I'm very uncomfortable on my side right now. Color Missy Nursing Assistant not happy.

40 minutes later...

I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I've been sitting on the monitor for 40 minutes (an NST is typically 20 minutes) when another person finally shows up. I immediately asked this new person who she was and found out that she's the nurse. Missy Nursing Assitant never actually introduced herself* so I'd thought SHE was the nurse and had given her my entire history.

Okay. No biggie. I get really busy at work as well, but I always try to introduce myself. But I do understand being busy. I'm sure she's seeing many, many patients. It's triage after all.

She looks at the strip, declares LB to be fine, then tells me that I can go down the hallway to pee but to keep the bands on because they'll hook me back to the monitor when I return.

I said no.

Actually, I said I'm not contracting regularly, the baby's fine, I'm very uncomfortable, I'd prefer not to be on the monitor, and that is my choice to make. I'm just here for an NST.

She was NOT HAPPY. So not happy that she turned around and quickly left the room without saying another word, leaving me to unhook myself off the bands and with a goo covered tummy. Missy Nurse Attitude.

We ended up being "discharged without delivery" which was funny because we weren't actually admitted. And that was our adventure in laborland.

* One of my pet peeves is when medical staff don't introduce themselves. Part of HIPPA is that patients have the right to know who is involved in their care. I find it unprofessional to not walk into a room and say who you are and what you do. I believe it goes a long way toward disempowering the patient. We all wear the same scrubs so it's hard to know if the person you're talking to is a nursing assistant, a nurse or a doc, and it's not always easy to read badges.

7 Comments:

At 3/25/2007 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm semi delurking (I think I commented once). I wanted to commend you and your philosophy on introducing yourself in the medical profession. This past wednesday I unfortunately found myself in the ER with my two year old son because he fell and hurt his head and needed a cat scan. (he fell backwards and hit his head on the curb and went sort of limp). Luckily the cat scan showed that everything was completely normal. Anyway, my point is that I remember thinking the whole time I was there "I wish someone would tell me who they are". It's such a frightening (thats an understatement) time and there is SO much uncertainty that it would at least be nice to know who is a doctor, a nurse, a student etc.

Oh, and I'm glad everything is fine with your baby. Here's to a smooth delivery soon (when he's ready).

Sorry for the novel. Apparently I needed to get that out.

 
At 3/26/2007 4:16 AM, Blogger Mikki said...

You just rock! I hope that I have as much courage to stand up for myself and my baby when I'm faced with the hospital. One of my reaons for not wanting a hospital birth is because is damn intimidating...and at one of the most vaulnerable times in a woman's life.

Good for you...and best wishes for the birth of your dreams!

 
At 3/26/2007 5:46 AM, Blogger party b said...

We had fabulous nurses... but we did get to where we (usually Beth) would start with "And you are?..." if they didn't tell us.

I'm sure we STILL have a reputation - LOL! :-) (not for THAT so much as other stuff we did!)

And, yesh... discharged without delivery = sucks

 
At 3/26/2007 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God, Sasha. We were planning a home birth but ended up at a hospital. So many of these same things happened. I read your post out loud to my wife. We can sooo comiserate.

www.whataboutmylifeplan.wordpress.com

 
At 3/26/2007 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so bad ass!
I just imagine all of the other women that get intimidated by these nurses & don't realize that they (the patient) are in charge and do have a say.
You need to right a book or Something geared towards this. Suggested title, "How to grow balls while having a baby".

xoxo

 
At 3/26/2007 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right=write...um...:)

 
At 3/26/2007 9:39 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

I cannot believe you are about to be moms. I am so fucking excited for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home