Thursday, March 29, 2007

Denial Ain't a River in Egypt

So we go to our bi-weekly NST today and I was actually SURPRISED to find out that I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. Regularly. WTF? They kept going for about 2.5 hours then backed off. This is hugely different from Tuesday when I had maybe one mild contraction during the NST.

Am I in labor? I don't know. I do know that I'm in serious, serious denial.

The nausea, well, it's contractions. The nurse asked if I knew I was having a contraction and I realized that I'd just started feeling sick again. I have a feeling that I'm going to puke my way through labor.

I called our doula to tell her that things appear to be progressing. She agrees that I'm in denial and is going to bed early tonight.

I've heard too many stories of long prodromal labor with zero progression and seen so many preggos convinced that they were about to go into labor then the birth is weeks later. I don't want to get into the head space that this is happening now only to drive myself crazy. The denial is mostly self protection.

In the meantime it seems the contractions are back because I'm starting to feel sick again. Time to lay down again. Ugh.

13 Comments:

At 3/29/2007 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here you go!

Fingers crossed that you have an easy time of it (well, as easy as it can possibly be!).

 
At 3/29/2007 6:36 PM, Blogger Momai said...

Woo hoo! We're cheering for all three of you!

 
At 3/29/2007 7:09 PM, Blogger Lides said...

It's so different for everyone. Some women will experience what you are for only a few hours before labor kicks in, or for a few days ... or, yeah, for weeks.

Best thing to do is rest as much as you can, continue to eat well, and stay hydrated.

 
At 3/29/2007 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope the nausea leaves and regular contraction pain happens. I'd take pain over nausea any day! So excited!

sophia

 
At 3/29/2007 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

de-lurking here, I found your blog through FF, am also a Seattlite, mommy to a 6 month old. I threw up with every big contraction throughout labor, and it was rough. Stay hydrated now, eat what you can now (for energy), and SLEEP. I was so giddy for 48 hours of pre-labor/early stage of labor that I went into actual labor exhausted. I'm guessing that little kid is going to show up sooner than you think. Easy labor vibes!!!

 
At 3/29/2007 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, ps: if I'm de-lurking being anonymous sucks, doesn't it? I'm at http://dandlioneyes.diaryland.com

 
At 3/29/2007 9:08 PM, Blogger Kat said...

sim completely a lurker but dedicated enough to your growing family that I am watching you from Arizona on vacation!

I am very excited for your growing family and impatiently waiting for a sweet family pic~

Labor is surely on the way. . . its an amazing experience, one that will change you all!
Kat

 
At 3/30/2007 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!! Getting close!! Come on LB work it!!! :o)

April

 
At 3/30/2007 5:05 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

ooh so exciting! riley and i will be checking your blog repeatedly for updates!!! good luck!

 
At 3/30/2007 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooo hoooooo!
remind me, will you be blogging through this?

 
At 3/30/2007 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Sending you easy labor vibes!

 
At 3/30/2007 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! So exciting!!! Sorry about the nausea - hope it dies down when real labour gets under way.

 
At 3/30/2007 7:56 AM, Blogger Targetgirl said...

I am so exicited for you three! I had a little talk with Logan before he came out and we agreed to work together to make it a positive experience for us both. I am convinced it worked, because despite our scary circumstances, it was a very positive experience and we did work great together.

Oh, and I totally get denial. I didn't believe my water had broken until I lost my mucus plug. On my chair. At work.

Much love from San Diego! Hope it goes quickly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home