Friday, March 30, 2007

Kate's Story

Back in December the Seattle area was hit by a huge windstorm and terrible rain. The drains in some areas clogged and there were flash floods in the city. One of those flood trapped a woman named Kate in her basement. The waters continued rising and she drowned.

What the news didn't broadcast was that Kate was a lesbian, and that her partner was on the other side of the basement door as the waters rose, talking to her, trying to save her.

The medics finally arrived - Kate was still alive but critical. She was taken to a local hospital and her partner followed the ambulance. At the hospital her partner was refused access to the woman and she had to frantically call her dying partner's family to get permission...PERMISSION...to be by Kate's bedside. She was referred to as "just Kate's partner" by the medical staff. Kate died hours later.

I can't think about this story without crying, and when I heard that the medical staff actually denied Kate's partner access, I wondered what hospital she'd been taken to. I couldn't imagine it was the hospital I work at because I can't imagine anyone I work with would deny a same-sex partner his or her right to be at the bedside of their dying loved one.

I found out today that I was wrong. It was my hospital.

I am usually proud of where I work. We do a good job. We treat populations that other facilities don't treat. We have the most challenging, complex patients. We have excellent nurses. We work hard.

Today I feel nothing but shame. I can't believe that Kate's partner faced such difficulty and discrimination from people who work for the same institution that I do. I wish I could tell her how sorry I am that she was treated that way while she was in crisis.

4 Comments:

At 3/30/2007 11:22 PM, Blogger Mo said...

This is so sad!! I had no idea that this happened, and I'm pretty shocked that this denial of access would happen in any hospital in Seattle. We still have a long way to go.

 
At 3/31/2007 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is SO horrible...after my horrible wreck last summer where I needed my partner with me but wasn't really very coherent it struck me how grateful I was that in rural Montana there was NEVER a question that L would be with me in the "family-only" ICU etc. Luckily, we do have papers that give her legal rights but she never even had to produce them. It was traumatic enough for us (especially my partner, frankly, as i barely remember) that that kind of nonsense would have just about killed her. Especially if i had died.

I really thought Seattle hospitals would have been more open (as did you clearly).

I hate to think the only reason I got that consideration was because I'm a doctor...but it is possible

 
At 4/03/2007 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Sacha.
How incredibly horrible. My heart is broken for Kate's partner, and for you. What a huge LEAP backwards!

Stay proud, lady! You know that the people you work with are caring, understanding, honorable people. Those others, the bad apples, should be singled out and publicly reprimanded. Your hospital has an obligation to restore it's reputation of tolerance and openly reject bigotry. If enough people express their outrage, I think the administration would take action - even if it is out of self-preservation.

Sacha, I would like to contact your hospital. Please e-me with that information (when LB gives you a moment.)

Love,
Traci

 
At 4/05/2007 4:02 AM, Blogger Mama Kelly said...

How absolutely terrible.

Thank you for bringing the story to my attention.

Mama Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home