Thursday, April 05, 2007

We're Home!


Whew, made it home. You can't believe how much work it took. Finn has started cluster feeding so it took us a couple hours to settle him before the car ride home. Right now he's on the kitchen floor in his car seat and the kitties are checking him out.

I hurt all over and am on pain meds, so hopefully some of this will make sense. We'll post a full birth story in a couple weeks. In the meantime, here's the short-ish version...

Everyone knows that it was deeply important to M. and I to have an unmedicated birth. What we ended up with was exactly the opposite. I don't want to say that's okay without explaining that we're okay with the outcome not JUST because the outcome was a baby.

Ironically we ended up with the labor we wanted.

Intervention #1 Induction

As previously posted, my water broke. We pushed at the standard approach to EROM and were allowed to go 15 hours before we started the induction. When we returned to triage we were admitted immediately and started on misoprostol. We ended up with three doses of miso and in active labor.

Intervention #2 Epidural & Pitocin

I made it to 5 centimeters before we decided to go ahead and have an epidural & Pitocin. We made that decision based on two things: I had progressed nicely from 0 cm to 4 cm but it took 4 hours to go from 4 to 5 and I was having back labor. If I was sitting on the bed my contractions would be about 6 minutes apart. If I got up I would contract constantly. At one point I got off the toilet and literally couldn't move because I was contracting so hard. I was that way for 30 minutes.

I really could handle the contractions and know I could have delivered vaginally, but the back labor was wearing me out, I was getting afraid to stand up because it would bring them on and I was getting exhausted. Dr. G. called and said my progress wasn't looking good and she wanted to talk epidural and pit. She thought it would help me relax and dilate. I asked for 15 minutes, per my birth plan, discussed it with my support team, and decided to do it. It was a very hard decision, but there were almost no easy ones during our labor.

When I write the entire story, I'll talk more about the epidural. One thing I'm very happy about is that I never went on pit without the epidural. That was a very good decision.

Intervention #3 Vacuum Extraction

I dilated to 10 cm with the epidural and pitocin and we started pushing at 5:15 am. Once again, more details in a longer story, but I pushed a total of 4 hours and 15 minutes. Dr. G. discussed getting a OB consult for a vacuum extraction and we said okay. We had talked about vacuum extraction prior to labor and I'd decided ahead of time it was an acceptable intervention since it could prevent a c-section.

They pulled five times with the vacuum and Finn still didn't come out. He did make it to station 2 or 3.

Intervention #4 C-Section

I'm not particularly dumb and I knew when Dr. G. started talking vacuum extraction that it was the last stop before a c-section. When she said she wanted the OB consult for the vacuum, I added in "...and a c-section". She said "yes".

When they did that fifth pull with the vacuum and it popped off our little boy's head, I knew that was the end of my vaginal delivery. They started prepping me for the OR.

The anesthesiologist stopped by and told me I could only have one person in the room. I told him that I wanted M. and our doula, that M. needed support to get through what would happen next and there was no compromise on my demand. He did agree but I'd already decided that if he didn't, I would refuse to have the c-section and Finn could sit in my birth canal.

The c-section was hard. I didn't see anything until they took him to the warming table. I was shaking HARD, hands hitting the arm boards, as they cut through the layers of my abdomen and crying.

Finn Alexander came out at 10:53 and I can't describe the feeling of hearing him cry and knowing we made THAT. His apgars were 8 and 9.

Final Thoughts

In the end a c-section was medically necessary. Finn was sunny-side up and cocked toward my left hip. Because of EROM he couldn't be turned and my contractions were hard. A vaginal birth wasn't in the cards for our boy.

I love Finn's birth. It wasn't beautiful. Well, finally having him here was beautiful, but the labor wasn't. It was brutal. It was long. It pushed M. and myself to our limits. It wasn't a means to an end but an experience. I gave every single cell in my body and every single part of my soul to bring our baby boy into this world, and that's all I ever wanted to do.

And right now, thank GOD, he's sleeping and The Boob isn't need AGAIN. I'll be really happy when my milk comes in.

Blessing to all.

32 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to the three of you! What a great pic!

 
At 4/05/2007 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree- what a wonderful picture!! I am sorry that you three had to deal with more interventions than you bargianed for. I am so looking forward to the full version of your story and I am so happy that your beautiful Finn is finally here!! CONGRATS!!

 
At 4/05/2007 9:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow! The pic truly is awesome. I look froward to further details. In the mean-time, hope you gals get some much-needed sleep.

 
At 4/06/2007 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pic! He is a cutie. Congratulations girls!

 
At 4/06/2007 4:56 AM, Blogger Jude said...

You done good, mama. You did everything you could have possibly done, and managed to keep your head. I don't know that too many other people could say the same thing.

Your LB is gorgeous!

 
At 4/06/2007 5:10 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

I think that you & M both did amazingly to produce your gorgeous boy, and I can totally empathise with a lot of what you went through, and the decisions you had to make.
4+ hrs pushing - crikey o'riley! I'm sorry that, like for us, it wasn't the birth you would have liked to have had, but am glad that you too are OK with the outcome.

I LOVE the pic of your new family :o)

And good luck with the exhaustion/feeding etc. It's going to be seriously hard these next few weeks, and you'll need a lot of support in recovering from the C-section/long labour - Megan too, but you especially as it's such a major physical hit. I thought I was doing OK & beginning to properly recover just a few days after the birth, but with hindsight, I was totallly not myself for at least 2 weeks afterwards.

Huge love to little Finn, and hope the milk comes in very soon so that he can start feeding more effectively/satisfyingly (I also hope the engorgement doesn't hurt too much - I found that cold flannels really helped, especially when soaked in water that had a few drops each of lavender and geranium essential oils added)).

 
At 4/06/2007 6:29 AM, Blogger party b said...

congrats. Like Tamsin, I can sympathize with much of what you went through in labor. And eventually I found it helpful to recall that surgical birth is STILL BIRTH! :-) And all birth is amazing.

The picture is great. Welcome LB, now Finn! Take care of yourselves in these early days and enjoy your babymoon!!

 
At 4/06/2007 7:25 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Congratulations to the three of you! What a beautiful picture!

 
At 4/06/2007 8:00 AM, Blogger Lides said...

What a lovely photo :-)

I'm so sorry it was so hard. But now he's here, and you're all home! What a blessing.

 
At 4/06/2007 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a priceless picture.

what a labor story, can't wait for the full version (and more pics!!)

get some rest and congrats again.

Erin (and dora and arden too!)

 
At 4/06/2007 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm impressed that you were able to write a coherent & thoughtful post so soon after all the excitement & drama. i can only imagine the challenge to have to revamp your birth plan kind of on the fly. but it sounds like you've been able to - to some degree - process this. i look forward to reading the more in-depth post once you all get into more of a routine. again, many congrats to all of you. beautiful picture.

 
At 4/06/2007 8:34 AM, Blogger kimberlyoh said...

Many congratulations! Medical interventions or not, you did what you had to and made the right decisions all along the way... and your little boy is here safe and sound. You should be proud of everything you went through, because you're right -- it IS your story and you'll never forget it!

(coming from another mom who did the same... 18 hours labor, 3 hours pushing, station 2, and a last-minute c-section during which I bawled from sheer exhaustion)

LOVE the family picture!

 
At 4/06/2007 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Megan and Sacha - your new son is gorgeous!! You are both so strong to endure such a hard labour - take care of yourself and take lots of time to recover.

So happy for you,
kelly (firefly from FF)

 
At 4/06/2007 8:51 AM, Blogger Krista said...

It's hard to think straight through the tears. That picture is amazing and the second last paragraph of your post has moved me in most unexpected way!

 
At 4/06/2007 9:05 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Awesome picture and story! Sounds like you had some hard decisions, and I'm so glad you both did not feel railroaded or unheard. Congratulations again new mamas!

 
At 4/06/2007 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrat to your family! How exciting he is here safe and sound! Can't wait to see more pics. REST up though, when ever you can!!!!!

 
At 4/06/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful. Even in your exhaustion, enjoy your newborn son and soak in as much as you can...you won't believe how fast time starts to fly.

 
At 4/06/2007 9:58 AM, Blogger Targetgirl said...

Fabulous picture! Congrats on coming home and hope that milk comes in quickly.

 
At 4/06/2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Display said...

You're rock stars, all three. Welcome, Finn. Good work, you three!

 
At 4/06/2007 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and I just have to say Congratulations!! The picture is sooo sweet. Take care.

 
At 4/06/2007 11:02 AM, Blogger d e v a n said...

He's beautiful!

 
At 4/06/2007 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your family picture! Your post made me cry. I'm so happy your son is here and you're both healthy. I'm very proud of you guys! Can't wait to read the whole story. For the moment, sleep, sleep, sleep when you can!

 
At 4/06/2007 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Finn and congratulations Sacha and Megan!!!!!! That is a beautiful picture and a moving story, and we're thrilled for you! Take care of yourselves over the next little while as you adjust and heal.

 
At 4/06/2007 5:36 PM, Blogger JS said...

Despite the interventions you so awesomely tried to avoid, your story is a beautiful one. What matters is that this experience is your and only yours (and M's of course), and that you are okay with the end result. You're a trooper and from what you've said, it sounds like you really stuck it out and gave it all you had. For that alone, you rightly should be proud. :)
I can't wait to see more pictures...I love the one you have up now. Beautiful boy, beautiful family. Congratulations!

 
At 4/06/2007 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad that he is out and you are both healthy!

 
At 4/06/2007 5:47 PM, Blogger Mo said...

I agree that this post is very moving. You two take medical empowerment to a whole new level. You did everything you could possibly do to get the experience you wanted and made choices that got your beautiful son out safely. I hope you get some rest and gentle healing over the next few weeks.

 
At 4/06/2007 5:49 PM, Blogger Momai said...

Huge congratulations to all three of you! And I have to say, Mombi and I really like the name you chose. ;)

Rest well, and post more pictures when you can! The first one is great!

 
At 4/06/2007 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuco-Blondie

 
At 4/06/2007 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're amazing! All 3 of you!
Welcome Finn and congrats Mamas. The photo is just precious.

Long time lurker from FF-"Elliot&Millie's Mamma"
(Karin)

 
At 4/06/2007 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Mamas! He's lovely and that pic is awesome!

 
At 4/07/2007 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow
just- wow!
It sounds like you had 4 different births all rolled up into one.
Thinking of you all & hope you are healing nicely.
xo

 
At 5/18/2007 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your birth experience sounds a lot like mine, altho in mine, the vacuum worked fine and she was out, about 29 hours after my water broke. So, nothing went as planned (massive interventons, meds, etc) but it was still great, afterall. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home