Friday, July 13, 2007

Breast Feeding


Before Finn was born I was very concerned about breast feeding. I was worried about my large breasts and my flat nipples, and I thought that establishing breast feeding was one of the biggest issues most new mothers faced.

It wasn't easy. Even though I had very few issues (no cracked nipples, bleeding, blisters, mastitis, clogged ducts, a good supply and a baby with a fantastic latch) it was still one of the most challenging things about having a newborn. I remember nights when I was shaking from exhaustion and medications as I fed Finn for two hours straight. Then there's the fact that your time is no longer your own. There were many, many times when I simply didn't want to feed my son. I felt terrible, but he ate so often that I never got a break. There's nothing like the mental fatigue of being the milk cow.

But I stuck with it. Actually, we stuck with it. M. was a huge part of my success in establishing breast feeding. She set aside her issues around being a non-birth mother who plans to give birth in the future and gave me 100% support in giving our son what was best for him.

And I love it.

I mean absolutely love it. One of the biggest joys of my life is feeding Finn. I love that he is healthy and strong, and that it's because of my boobs. I love our time together, and even if I still feel a little bitter about being constantly interrupted because he's hungry, I love being able to give him his boob.

He's my booby baby.

I love that my giant-ass not-so-perfect boobs do a perfectly good job of providing comfort and sustinence. I have a love/hate relationship with my breasts and it feels good to know that I've suffered with their largess for a reason. They were made to feed my boy.

There's a lot of judgement around breast feeding versus formula feeding. I hope anyone reading this who is struggling with breast feeding will get the support needed to keep going. It will get better and it's just a wonderful thing to be able to share with your baby. And if others have made the choice to move to formula, that's okay too...you might be able to develop a comfort nursing relationship that could give you some of that same intimacy. There's just something special about having a baby on the breast.

8 Comments:

At 7/13/2007 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am psyched I can bf my 8-week old. We've had *some* issues, but I feel like supermommy that he and I could develop this skill together. Good post!

 
At 7/14/2007 5:05 AM, Blogger Alwayssunnyinmyworld said...

Well written and I feel the same about my super huge boobs and flat nipples. I'm glad I stuck with it and am still BFing at 14 months.

It's the best thing you can do for them.

 
At 7/14/2007 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Isn't it WONDERFUL? :) It's like pregnancy- you're nourishing your little one from your body.. But it's on the outside, so you can see him and hold him and snuggle him and kiss him while you're doing it.

I love BF.

 
At 7/15/2007 12:27 PM, Blogger Jude said...

I'm so glad that you realize what a blessing it is that you are able to nurse your baby so well. It is so devastating to find out that your boobs and your body CAN'T do it, and I do appreciate that you consider those mamas that really do wish they could say their babies grow and thrive because of their nourishment, but can't. I am more than a little envious of you, but you're right, there's nothing sweeter than a baby on the boob.

 
At 7/16/2007 8:25 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

Glad to know you feel that way about your boobs, really! My wife has wanted a reduction for years now, but hasn't done it because she didn't want to ruin her chance to breastfeed. Now that's dedication! We are totally opposite sizes. I doubt I would have gotten to be her original size even with pregnancy! She is my hero. :)

 
At 7/17/2007 2:11 PM, Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

For some of us we didn't make "the choice to move to formula." At the end of the 5th month I was pumping only .25 oz a session. And it wasn't from lack of support or trying I just didn't make enough milk.

And I feel like people think there is no such thing as low supply. I did too when my mom told me "I didn't make enough milk" when she had me. I thought "it was the 70s, you just didn't try hard enough."

It was wonderful and Phine was the world's best latcher from the start it kills me that she is not exclusively breastfed.

I did everything I could (with the exception of drugs) to try to get my supply up, but it only got worse. So yeah we moved to formula, but don't think it was our choice.

 
At 7/17/2007 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better. Nursing Edie is one of my favorite things about being a mom.

 
At 8/06/2007 8:22 AM, Blogger HippyPoppins said...

I love that picture...I have a few like that of nursing my son. I had a horrible time Nursing him but stuck with it. I had a horrible pediatrician that gave me very bad advice. Caeden was tongue tied when he was born and I had no idea what that was until I called La Leche because I was desperate! I worked with a lactation consultant for over a month got a new pediatrician and did my best! I had cracked nipples and thrush for 2mos...and would cry at every latch on...when everything settled down my little guy just wasn't getting enough and I had to supplement with formula...2oz after each nursing session. I started him on food early 4.5mo (avocado and sweet potatoes) so that I could stop the formula and just nurse him. I was worried that he was getting to the age where he was going to prefer the bottle to me! In the end everything worked out. I nursed until he was almost 2! Now my new struggles begin...the words that I say 20 times a day are "do you have to pee pee on the potty"...lol...he's response is " NO WAY MAMA, NO WAY...ITSALLGONE...PEE PEE". Nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home