Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Creepy Crawler

All Fours, originally uploaded by Sacha Digi.

One of the best things about having a baby is discovering their personality. Our sweet boy has been a strong will baby from the moment he implanted in my uterus. I am continually amazed at the sheer determination and physicality of this child. At the same time, I don't know how we're going to keep up with him. M. and I are run ragged as it is.

He's brought these traits to crawling. The order of things is supposed to go...

1. roll from back to tummy
2. master sitting
3. work on crawling

Uh huh.

Well, our boy finds sitting quite boring and I still can't have him sit without one of us keeping a hand close because he will inevitably topple forward or backward.

Crawling is another story. He wants to move and he's going to yell and push and grunt until he does it. In the last three days he' s started to push up on all fours and crawl backwards. Any time you put him down he'll flip onto his stomach and push himself up then start working on crawling. He works on it in his sleep. He is quite determined to crawl and clearly will not stop until he does.

Of course we are proud of our boy. He's our amazing child. At the same time, M. and I both would love a developmental break. We keep thinking that he'll master that one skill that will make him happy, but it never seems that way. The minute he figures things out, he moves onto working on something else he can't do. He is Mr. Unstoppable.

We're baby proofing in the next week or so. And we have to move him out of the cosleeper and get the portable crib. And we need some baby gates. And, and, and....

Mommies need a break.

5 Comments:

At 9/18/2007 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I am always amazed at how quickly your little guy is developing! Mira is a smidge older than Finn and she has yet to roll over completely on her own. I think she's just lazy. ;)

Janet

 
At 9/18/2007 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girls I know exactly what you are feeling.. Our little Piggywig crawled at 5mth and walked at 8mth.. Now she is about to turn 2 -and is still miles ahead in her development. Let me tell you, it's tiring!! But it's also the most fun!
P.s get some clever childproof locks - If Finn is anything like Piggy, he will have them sorted out in no time!!

 
At 9/18/2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Angele said...

they do change quickly! :) good luck with the childproofing!

 
At 9/18/2007 5:53 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Wee boy has been yelling and trying to crawl all day long. Yelling seems to come with the territory of learning a new skill. I suspect he's going to keep doing this until he can crawl.

He's so cute. He's on his hands and knees, yelling his sweet little head off, kicking, pushing up and I'm sitting on the floor, clapping my hands, cheering him on, telling him that he CAN DO IT...he was totally eating it up.

I told M. that I seriously think he'll crawl tomorrow. Please, child, prove me wrong :)

BTW, Mira is not lazy!

 
At 9/19/2007 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha - I was only kidding when I called Mira lazy. She is rolling from side to side so I predict that rolling all the way over will happen very soon!

As for the yelling, Mira has been doing a lot of that as well. She'll sit in her exersaucer and screech and squeal - in a good way. Some of the sounds that come out of her are quite funny!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home