Friday, September 07, 2007

Sleep Issues


Finn started sleeping through the night at three months. At four and a half months, he stopped. It's not too bad because I can side lie nurse now, so most of the feedings happen in a sleep induced haze and I don't feel too tired. We've also brought him back into the bed. After reclaiming the bed and having Finn spend the entire night in the cosleeper, he's baaaaaaaaaaack. Once again, it's not too bad.

So what's the issue?

Well, he's completely pushing up with his arms and starting to with his legs. Once the legs come into play, which at the rate of speed he's going could be next week for all we know, he can't safely be in the cosleeper any more. And honestly I don't really want him in the bed long term unless we get a better (and safer) setup for cosleeping. This means a king bed which will take up our ENTIRE bedroom and I just don't want that.

We were planning to do the crib around six months. Not with Mr. Snack-all-Night. I would be up constantly. Having him in the bed both preserves our sanity and makes sure I get enough sleep to be safe at work.

Enter the portable crib. I think we're going to buy a small portable crib and put it where the cosleeper is now. That will give Finn his own sleep space but he'll still be in the room with us and we can whip him into bed if we have to. I'm kind of excited about this plan because I really like having him close by and a portable crib is a good compromise.

7 Comments:

At 9/08/2007 1:19 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

Good idea girl! Maybe we'll end up copying you. I'm torn about the cot idea - his room is at the back of the house and even though we have a monitor I just don't think I'm ready for him to be sleeping in it yet!
Is Finn having a growth spurt or is he comfort nursing? I know you already pump A LOT (you poor thing). If he's hungry at night have you tried the top-up bottle straight after the boob to see if it tides him over for longer? THis generally doesn't work for Seth, but it has a couple of times and the extra sleep was heaven!

 
At 9/08/2007 3:48 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I hope it works out for you. Too bad he's started waking in the night. How many times? If Riley wakes, it's only once, thankfully. :P

 
At 9/08/2007 10:50 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Yes, I pump a ton...usually around 18 ounces a day. But Mr. Bo Finner sometimes takes 31!!!! from the bottle while I'm gone. I'm feeling a little defeated. Sometimes we do a dream feed when we go to bed and that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I honestly think he's hungry. I think it has to do with teething and will probably pass. Being able to side lie makes it 100% more bearable. I'd be a wreck if I had to get up with him.

He's up from one to three times per night to nurse. Usually he just latches and sucks away but last night he decided to cry every time and pull off the breast. ::sigh::

I'm seriously not concerned about getting him back to sleeping through the night. I learned early on that the only way to keep myself sane was to accept my fate. I'm the boob and my life is not my own at the moment.

He's also a good sleeper and will probably go back to that at some point. I'm mostly annoyed that our plan to get him out of the bed at six months appears to have been THWARTED.

Another benefit of the portable crib is that we can wheel it down the hallway when we finally transition him to sleeping in his own room. You know, put him in it and put it the hallway then take him foot by foot toward his own room.

 
At 9/08/2007 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the portable crib. You might be surprised with the sleeping. I know my son was nursing every two hours or so when he slept with me but went to once a night or not at all once he got his own space. I think he was wanting some comfort nursing every time he rolled through a sleep cycle. Sounds like Finn though might be in a growth spurt or having teeth issues right now.

 
At 9/08/2007 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered doing a side-car crib arrangement? I'm thrilled with ours...and it's economical too. One crib-- you can use it up against your bed now and then as he gets older you can put the side on and gradually move it farther away and then use it as a toddler bed later. He'll be used to sleeping in it so the transition might be easier. And it's heavenly for the nurse-while-sleeping thing (we do that too). :o)

 
At 9/08/2007 4:40 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

We wouldn't mind doing a side car crib but I don't think there's enough room for a full-size crib in the bedroom.

Oh, he probably is comfort nursing. We always start him in the cosleeper then he comes into the bed for the first nursing and stays. I'm waiting for the day when he will (again) go down in the cosleeper and stay there until morning. I guess we could put him back in, but I'm too tired to deal with the acrobatics that would require, or getting out of bed (he sleeps on M.'s side).

 
At 9/10/2007 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you please let me know what kind you guys end up buying? We are in pretty much the same boat (except we have a big bed but need something small for naps) and after she grows out of the borrowed co-sleeper (not long here either) I need to find a small portacrib that is hopefully not much wider than the cosleeper mini. Which btw did you see now they actually MAKE a mini-cosleeper that turns into a playyard? Probably too small lengthwise though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home