Friday, January 20, 2006

Q&A Part II

What did you do before you became a nurse?
I spent four years working in the computer department of an engineering firm. I was the department administrator which equals Jill of All Trades. It cured me of ever wanting a career in computers. Two of those years were happy. Two were unhappy but I knew I was getting out. I learned a lot from my unhappiness.

What are you planning in the way of childcare after the baby comes?
M. works part time and I have one funky-ass schedule. Between the two of us we'll be able to have one person home at all times. We're also both planning to take three months maternity leave each but not at the same time so we won't have to schedule juggle for six months. After that we'll see each other in the evenings and every other weekend. We're planning on putting the wee one into part time daycare after a year because we actually like seeing each other.

What made you choose to use a known donor instead of an anonymous one?
On the practical side of things it's easier to have fresh sperm, easier to get pregnant and cheaper than ordering from a sperm bank every month. M. agreed to this because I wanted it. I think she would be just as happy with a nice vial that arrives via Fed Ex every month. For me, I've always wanted to use a known donor but until DtD, never had a close enough relationship with someone where I saw possibility. I realize that we're bringing a child into an alternative family, in an alternative manner, and want to normalize the experience from day one. I want our child to always know where he or she comes from, to have mommy and mommy and my uncle Dick who helped mommies bring me into this world. It seems the healthiest for our child to have transparency about our process from the beginning. And having our donor involved means more people to love and support our child.

And second, how did you find/meet your donor?
He's been a friend for a couple years. He actually casually offered his swimmers about a year ago and it completely freaked me out. He and I have become closer in the last six months and somewhere in there M. and I started to realize that he had the qualities we were looking for in a known donor. So we asked.




Please ask more questions if you have them.... It beats watching Dr. Phil!


2 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 4:24 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

How often to you plan to see DtD when the baby comes? Can you say more about his fantasy, versus your reality, contract, and agreement? We are struggling with this...

 
At 1/20/2006 5:45 PM, Blogger JS said...

I haven't been able to figure out what DtD and BF stand for. BF, best friend maybe? I don't know.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home