Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Dear Anonymous

Let me preface this by saying that if you have something to say, please say it yourself and not as 'anonymous'. And say it in a way that lets the world know that YOU own your emotions and thoughts instead of being accusatory. The following is in response to an anonymous comment below.

Selfishness

It is not unkind to point out the reality that DtD faces some barriers in his life that would make having children at this exact moment difficult. I won't discuss the specific barriers but will say that I hope with all my heart that they will not be there for much longer. They aren't barriers DtD has created; they are the political type that haunt every queer person's life.

We do not 'keep requesting' DtD's sperm. He has agreed to give it to us. We have gone to great lengths to make sure that all parties in this situation are clear about what we're all doing. We have all gone to lawyers and signed a contract. We have done this at our own personal expense.

And we asked DtD to be our donor despite the heart disease, high cholesterol and otherwise imperfect health history he brings to the party. His sperm is more than good enough for us simply because it's HIS. Imagine someone coming to you and telling you that they want YOU just because of who you are and nothing else, the whole package, faults, benefits, the full meal deal.

So if wanting my family to be protected is selfish, please call me selfish. If acknowleding that his barriers, which neither of us have much control over, marginally benefit us, makes me selfish, please...call me selfish.

If 'anonymous' is a regular reader of this blog, I hope he or she has also taken note that both M. and I have a great deal of love for our donor. He's going to be a fabulous dad, if and when that becomes possible for him. And M. and I will support him in every way when that time comes.

Grrrrrr.

2 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sacha, sorry to see you got hit by anonymous. Seems to be happening to a lot of good people these days.

In terms of DTD, I totally empathize. I have the same fears about our donor, although at the moment he does not want to be a primary parent to kids. He'll be pretty involved with us, but with no custodial rights.

We approached one other donor earlier in the process and were relieved when we all decided it wouldn't work, because he *really* wanted kids and I was terrified that he either wouldn't respect our boundaries and we'd end up constantly struggling. I also had a feeling that he would decide that he wanted a baby and would ask for a return gift of an egg and carrying it for him. And I wouldn't have a freaking clue how we would react! The major warning sign was when he got excited about a child with his last name. Uh.... not what we were asking for!

I have faith that these things will work out. I have friends who have used known donors with no trouble whatsoever. One in particular has a child who is now 11 and has become closer with her dads over the years but they have all been respectful and negotiable, and it has been wonderful.

 
At 3/16/2006 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I do not feel like you are being selfish at all...I know it hasn't but, don't let "anonymous" get you down or make you think that what you are doing is wrong...I commend all of you and admire your strength in this process...I wish the best for all of you and a healthy little baby as the result! Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home