Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Baby Gets Sugar

I DON'T HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES!!!

I can't tell you what a relief this is. I just wasn't ready for all the implications that a diagnosis of gestational diabetes brought with it.

Pretty much everyone at BHOI treated me like gestational diabetes was inevitable. After all, I'm fat and old so that must mean I should be expected to have GB. The MEDwives wanted to test me at 20 weeks, quite a bit earlier than necessary. I have defied them. Bwahahaha!

Then there's all the emotional baggage that comes with being a pregnant fatty. I mean tons. I had pretty much convinced myself that I deserved gestational diabetes just for being who I am. Yes, I'm not always the most emotionally stable person despite trying really hard and pregnancy hasn't been kind to my poor heart and soul.

My blood sugar an hour after the, ummmm, TASTY gunk was 83, baby! Not even borderline. Mama doesn't have to give up her sugar. The funny thing is that I've been eating borderline bad the last few days and I think it's because I was anticipating not passing the test. Now that I can, do I want to bury my head in my sugar canister? Nah. Actually some tasty baked apples sound really good right now.

11 Comments:

At 1/17/2007 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome news!

 
At 1/17/2007 9:18 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Hah! You showed 'em girl ;o)

 
At 1/17/2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! That stuff is beyond disgusting, too. I had my test fairly early on, before the 20-week mark, I think, and I was still in the throes of nausea. I kept reminding myself that if I barfed it up, I was just going to have to start over!

I hate the bias against overweight women and pregnancy. Like you don't deserve a pregnant belly if you already have a Hagen-Dazs belly. Sheesh.

You obviously look glowingly healthy as well as pregnant...hopefully you'll change some preconceived (no pun intended!) notions!

 
At 1/18/2007 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so, so happy for you and I know just how you were feeling in the lead-up to the test.... the same wa I feel now!
One of the girls I work with got diagnosed with GD and she's very slim and since then when the topic comes up all the other staff say "I can't believe JULIE has GD of all people!" while they look kind of sideways at me. I know for a fact they'll all expect me to have it. In fact when people asked me how my 19 week ultrasound went and I said the baby is big the first thing they all have said is "Is it diabetes?". No fuckwits - it's because the donor is 6 foot 4 inches. It will be very gratifying for me if my test comes up negative and I can prove them all wrong! I hope your good healthy and good luck rub off on me!

 
At 1/18/2007 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :)

 
At 1/18/2007 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! What a relief for you. Glad you can let that piece of baggage GO!

 
At 1/18/2007 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too felt relief and pride in not having GD... as if it was my doing...

And yet, CONGRATS... stick it to 'em!!! :-)

 
At 1/18/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger *G* said...

hooray for sugar!

 
At 1/18/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger niki said...

YAY! Great news, I'm so glad a fellow big girl is having a pregnancy without GD. I'm still pissed and down on myself for having it.

 
At 1/18/2007 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! One less thing for people to try to scare you with.

 
At 1/19/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

That's great. I failed the one hour test (I was 130 exactly) and had to take the 3 hour test last week. Thankfully, I passed that one with flying colors. Yay for us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home