Monday, January 15, 2007

Your Right to Refuse Care

As an RN I've explained to many, many patients that it's in their best interest to do what I'm asking them to do because of their safety. I've told them to stay in bed, take their meds, agree to procedures because our job is to keep them safe and agreeing with ME will do that.

Now I'm on the other side.

I'm starting to wonder if the pregnant women population might be the most compliant population in the medical world. It comes from the fact that pregnant women aren't sick. They are healthy patients who seek medical management for a non-medical condition. On top of this, they are having a BABY, creating a life, care taking for something that become increasingly important to keep safe. They are easy to bully.

Where the BHOI providers miscalculated is that I actually know my risks around most pregnancy complications and I don't scare that easily. I'm not going to be bullied, I'm going to be an equal participant.

When I started to question my care or to even downright refuse care, instead of being told my risks, alternatives and being respected, I became The Difficult Patient. I became "medically unstable". I was told "well, you always have the RIGHT to refuse care" but the conversation stopped there and went onto imposing FEAR, FEAR, FEAR onto my pregnany, reminding me of the worst possible outcome of my refusal.

Because in the world of obstectrics, I don't actually exist. My experience doesn't really count. It's all about our boy and his safety, which is not the wrong focus but not the right focus either.

EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE CARE.

Take it further. Refusing care doesn't mean you no longer deserve care. It doesn't mean you are subjected to bullying by your practitioner about your decision. If a practioner responds to you discussing refusing care by offering the worst case scenario in order to scare you back into their way of thinking, find a different practitioner. Refusing care means you get to have the reasonable risks of your decision explained, and a plan of care should you follow through on your decision worked out.

We always learn, even from the darkest times, I've learned a lot from my experience. It's making me a better nurse.

6 Comments:

At 1/15/2007 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. When I had my first "pregnant" check-up with my OB, we discussed in very general terms what her methods were. She said that as long as it wouldn't endanger me or the kid, we could do whatever felt right. I didn't press any further, and now I wish I should have. With three months to go, that now seems very open-ended. I definitely plan to get more specific with her on my next appointment!

 
At 1/15/2007 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl, you speak the truth! I am pregnant with my third child and I have gone through some shit from md's and have always (knock wood) had run of the mill pregnancies. It's so infuriating!

 
At 1/15/2007 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are absolutely right. many people don't know their patient rights!
and going to the doctor when pregnant, you are so scared to make a wrong decision because it is about this little helpless baby and not about you anymore.
thank you for posting and reminding us of our right!

 
At 1/15/2007 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There have been things in the past I've wanted to refuse, but didn't want to be "problematic." Well, after a membrane sweep with no consent on my part (or even warning...went from checking cervix to...ow, ow, ow! what are you doing?? Stop! I don't want that!!), and a resulting baby born a week later with a collapsed lung and a "mystery" infection (perhaps from bacteria introduced vaginally against my will?) I mean REALLY, they don't even normally touch you down there without warning first, let alone attempt to start your labor 2.5 weeks before you're due! I have gotten a lot more "opinionated" since then...nothing like having your baby spinal tapped and taken to NICU to make you look for WHAT MAY HAVE GONE WRONG in a previously perfectly normal and uneventful pregnancy. Big red letters now mark my chart with NO MEMBRANE SWEEP, and I think I am also going to refuse all cervix dialation checks upto the point of 40 weeks and/or labor. What's the point anyway? The cerxix isn't like a timer and you can say, "Oh, 2 centemeters! Only three more days to go!!" Ok, sorry for my rant. I agree that you have the right to decide what is best for you and your child! Don't feel guilty an ddon't feel intimitaded.
Emily

 
At 1/16/2007 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big advocate on choice in medical care. I want my medical team to be on my side. I want them to help me make informed choices about my care. I don't always have the same values and I need the space to make informed choices even if it goes against what they think will "keep me safe" Life is not safe, and life is not the only choice. I thought the rule in medicine is "do no harm" not keep everyone safe. Just a thought.
I'm cheering for you!

 
At 1/18/2007 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN! I can't tell you how many times I've seen women be bullied by doctors/nurses/etc. "well if you don't do this YOUR BABY COULD DIE." Yeah, not the best thing to say to a woman in labor, unless it is a serious medical emergency!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home