Sunday, January 07, 2007

Joining the Diaper Wars

Okay, it's not really a war.

This post is inspired by Stacey and Angele's recent angst over the cloth vs. disposable debate and my subsequent laughing at them. They have now joined the Cloth Diapering Cult.

We've been planning to cloth diaper forever-n-ever.

It started at least five years ago when M. and I cleansed the house of ALL our chemical cleaners. We switched over to using baking soda, borax, castille soap, vinegar and essential oils to keep our house clean. I make almost all our own cleaning products. It seemed like a natural step to decide to cloth diaper. If we were dedicated to using natural cleaning products then why would we ever use a diaper that was based in chemicals?

I had no idea what dark path we'd started down. M. is now obsessed with cloth diapering. Maybe the right word is addicted. Crack, heroin, meth...DIAPERS? Do dealers slip you piles of unbleached Chinese prefolds on the corner?

My head is now filled with terms like prefolds, contours, soakers, doublers, snappies, fitteds and more. M. spends my work weekends on the computer, staring at pictures of diapered babies, different covers, and folds, perusing message boards and indulging in the strange wonderful world of cloth diapering. I'm grateful that while I'm pounding the hell out of my feet and wiping ass, M. is busy watching out for The Unnamed One's wee bottom. I would never have the patience for it.

So we will cloth diaper, and wash them ourselves. It's good for him. It's good for the environment. It's makes a damn cute little baby diaper bum.

Other News

We have another ultrasound tomorrow. It's part of being on the low end of high risk. And we have our appointment with Dr. Katie. And they'll check to see how my BP is doing. It'll be a long day but we get to see our boy again.

And now it's time for a very tired Nurse Pie to get some rest.

6 Comments:

At 1/08/2007 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad we could make you laugh. :) Funny how we did a complete 360. I think we were both imagining the diapers from back when our siblings were little. And not having to pre-soak them was a big selling point. Plus they are rather cute. ;)

Angele likes to research more than I do so I could see her getting addicted to things like researching diapers.

Good luck at the ultrasound! It'll be fun to see the boy again. :)

 
At 1/08/2007 9:06 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Welcome to the Crazy Cloth Mamas Club!! We agonized, researched, got addicted, the whole works. We love cloth diapering so much we ended up starting a yahoogroup for local CDers.

We bought diapers off of Craigslist, got hand-me-downs, thrift store, and some from our online registry. So we have a big stash with a bunch of different covers & diapers. And if we were doing it all over again and could afford it? We'd go 100% FuzziBunz. Love, love, love them.

Since we have limited funds and already have a bunch of diapers, we are sticking with our mix and match approach, though we did ask for (and receive) some extra FBs for Christmas. Never, ever thought I'd be so happy to get DIAPERS for Christmas. :)

Anyway, we've tried a lot so if you want personal reviews, ask away. Or any other CD questions.
cdmamas @ gmail dot com.

 
At 1/08/2007 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to say that while I do recycle, I am not planning on joining the crazy cloth mama's club.
I know, shame shame shame on me.
More power to you ladies!

 
At 1/10/2007 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you do a post (or email me privately if you don't feel like posting on your blog) what types of cleaning solutions you make up? We don't use harsh stuff either, but I buy it all pre-made and that is expensive. I would *love* to hear what you use and how it works!

 
At 1/11/2007 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just had to post on this because I heard on the news recently that 'research' has shown that evidence is now showing up a whole lot of infertile 20-something yr old men, which they are linking to the first generation of disposable daipered baby boys. Disposables apparently keep the crown jewels too hot (which has been linked to infertility in males) whereas cloth diapers allow them to 'breathe'. So.... I'm thinking... your boy is very fortunate that you guys have decided to go for cloth rather than disposables (and your grand children will thank you, hehehe! :-)

Take care.

 
At 1/15/2007 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn The Benefits Of Cloth Diapers

You will not find cloth diapers in just any store, they are not as popular as they were in the 1980s and early 1990s.Cloth diapers have a low damaging impact on your child's skin, because they lack of the chemicals present in disposable diapers. ...
Elby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home