Monday, January 22, 2007

Breast Feeding with Rat Poison

M. and I had our visit with the perinatalogist today. It went very well. He was nice, didn't talk down to us and gave us really good information on clotting and pregnancy. He even had a matrix they use for treatment based on a major study done in 2005. Finally we get INFORMATION instead of fear...fear...fear!

Results?

There's no indication for me to be anticoagulated during pregnancy at this time. I got a copy of the doctors notes from BHOI and it turns out that they actually DID want to anticoagulate me during pregnancy. In a classic CYA move, the doc wrote that its her opinion that anticoagulation during pregnancy needs to be addressed and that I wasn't open to discussion. Remember, this conversation took place the same appointment where I was dumped by the medwives and was a complete and utter wreck. I'm glad her ass is a-okay while I was stuck in a fear spiral.

Dr. H. (for the heavenly breath of fresh air he was) said the research shows that having ruled out for genetic clotting disorders and not currently having a clot, I do not need to be anticoagulated.

I will be anticoagulated post partum. But only prophilactically. This means weekly blood draws instead of daily. And we may be able to get insurance to cover a visiting nurse. I'm okay with this. It's reasonable.

I will probably go onto coumadin. At some point couamdin was used to kill rats. Yes, it's RAT POISON. Give anyone enough coumadin and they'll hemorrhage to death. I'll be breast feeding our son while taking RAT POISON.

Despite being stuck at the Baby Factory, we feel really good about our decision to switch to our family practice doc. A better delivery experience wasn't worth having to fight every step on our way there.

7 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling good and supported by your doc. Yay!!!

 
At 1/23/2007 3:09 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

I was so pleased to read about a sensible doctor treating you at last - hooray!

Mmm, rat poison - yummy!

It really sounds like you made the right decisions about switching to your family practice doc. While your birth experience is obviously also very important, it is over a much shorter period of time, and you really need to feel that these last weeks of your pregnancy are not totally fraught/stressful/upsetting, especially when all the medical opinions weren't really taking you, as an individual, into account.
Are you feeling a lot happier about it all generally now?

 
At 1/23/2007 4:31 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad you found a good doctor, finally. I hope things go smoother from here on out.

A bit of Coumadin assvice (Cait's mom does have a genetic clotting disorder, which thankfully was NOT passed on.): discuss whether there are any other options as Coumadin has a bunch of dietary restrictions. They're not impossible but life is hard enough with a newborn without having to worry about a complex diet. At a prophylactic dose it may not be a big deal but worth discussing.

 
At 1/23/2007 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you have a doctor to work with who is supportive of you.

 
At 1/23/2007 8:52 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Jen - the other option is lovenox and daily shots. I'm not entirely opposed to that except that I think oral meds will be easier for me to be compliant with.

And assvice is always accepted!

I think the prophylactic dose won't bring the diet stuff with it, but thanks for reminding me...I'd forgotten about the vitamin K restrictions on coumadin. I'll check with Dr. G.

I was therapeutically anticoagulated after my blood clot and going through that with a new baby would be very difficult. I still have two tests to get through so hopefully I'll rule out on both. If I rule in, that would change the plan. Ugh.

 
At 1/23/2007 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurrah for NICE doctors that don't send you into fear spirals.

Do you ever use arnica for bruises? I only ask as my GF was on Cumadin and it made him bruise very easily. He used to twiddle his thumbs and then his thumbs would bruise. They never hurt - but arnica helped a lot with the discoloring.
Regardless- I am SO glad that a plan is in the works.

xo

 
At 7/23/2009 2:00 PM, Blogger JaronMuzeau said...

What was the reason for your previous clot. I've been getting scare tactics too and I refuse to take the shots. Just wanted to know if your case is similar to mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home