Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cats really do prepare you to parent!

I've always thought it was a little crazy to feel like one's cats were preparing one to parent. But I really feel that way. We have four. Before you start thinking CRAZY CAT LESBIANS, I think five would officially bring us to that point. Four is borderline, but I LOVE my kitties.

One is just a cat. She's sweet but she's the classic stand-offish, independent cat.

One is 100% our baby. We are her world and we can do no wrong. She just gazes at us with the most love, then bites us. That's when we remember that she really is a cat.

Did I say they are well-behaved? I'm afraid we've failed at being cat moms in many areas.

Another is our toddler. She constantly tests her boundaries and tries to get her way on everything.

The last is the original kitty that started all this. She's a good girl and she knows the world would be better if she had opposable thumbs.

The good thing about cats is that they stay cats. Our cat-baby will never grow up. Our cat-toddler will never stop testing us. They will also never dissappoint us, or hurt us, or tell us that they don't love us or that we should never have had them.

Little boy will and it already breaks my heart.

3 Comments:

At 1/25/2007 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had 4 cats when I met Angele. People used to give me cat related things for my apartment and I think I was on the verge of becoming a crazy cat lady. LOL. We now have 3 and I love them all. They are so unique and yet, pretty well behaved. One does give love bites but they aren't malicious. Best natured cats I've ever had. Of course, they are cats and they are stubborn and not so easily trained like the dogs. ;)

Do you have photos of each of your cats?

Pets are amazing and I couldn't imagine living without them. I think your little boy is lucky that he will be raised with pets because it really does teach kids about compassion and respect for the animal kingdom. :)

 
At 1/26/2007 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our case, although M L.O.V.E.D. all four of her cats throughout the pregnancy, it all changed when Kiddo was born.

Perhaps you'll be different. Perhaps you'll always love them the same.

But the first time one of them started horking near Kiddo's sweet self on her playmat, they got relocated to another area of the house.

As they're OLD, three have died peacefully in Kiddo's nearly-three years. We've considered allowing the remaining one back into the living room (he has the run of 300 sq feet, 100 of it with carpet and a couch in the playroom), but every time we do he grosses us out.

Love them now! (Hopefully) love them later...

Bree

 
At 1/26/2007 7:37 AM, Blogger art-sweet said...

We have four too! I agree with you... five is the threshold for CCL status.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home