Monday, May 07, 2007

Q&A

I'm behind on answering some questions that have been asked, so here goes... If any babycakes readers have other questions, ask away and I'll answer. I like doing Q&As.

Would I be a surrogate for DtD and BF?

At this time, probably not. We are all clear that him being our donor does not require something in exchange. My pregnancy was difficult enough that I don't really want to do it again, and my age would be problem. Things could change, but that's how I feel at the moment. I think being a surrogate requires a truly special person and I'm not convinced I'm that kind of person.

Less than optimal boobs

I was very concerned about breast feeding because I have quite large jugs and I lack those nice, big mama nipples. I was hoping pregnancy would change that, but it didn't. So I went into breast feeding with less than optimal breasts. My biggest concern was Finn not being able to latch well.

I did end up having problems briefly when I was engorged (note - I never was truly engorged, I think because of my large breasts). My left nipple started to invert when my breasts were filled. Luckily I was able to pump the nipple out and after about five days of doing that, Finn started to latch just fine.

Somehow Finn knows what to do and has a really good latch. Once he latches, he pulls my nipple out and everything does fine. I have no supply issues and because I resisted pumping at the beginning, my supply is truly regulated to the boy's demands.

The best advice I can give is have numbers for a lactation consultant, have a nipple shield ready if you need it, and trust that your baby will know what to do. Then get help if you need it and don't stop until you get things resolved.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Potty Position

Here is M. and Finn doing the Potty Position we use to help Finn pass gas and poop:

put one hand on baby's chest and the other under his knees then let his bottom drop lower than everything else, then the two of you rock gently forward and back. a slight bounce can work well too. do it when he wakes up in the am or when grunting...

1 Comments:

At 5/09/2007 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my boob question! :-)
Happy Birthday too!
Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home