Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mothers' Day

I've been going back on forth on whether or not I want to write about some of the stuff going on with my mother. I've decided to bring it to light. Watch out because this is long...

Mothers' Day

We had a mostly good Mothers' Day. M. and I both have parents in the area so we all got together for a really good brunch. Afterward we went to M.'s parents house and just chilled. It was the perfect pace for people permanently stuck on baby time.

But there were parts that were bad.

My parents usually pay for both M. and I when we go out for meals. It's been this way for the duration of our relationship. My parents picked MOTHERS' DAY as a time to start quibbling over whether or not they would pay for M. or if her parents should pay. This might be okay if it didn't happen the night before Moms' Day with no prior arrangements with M.'s parents. Her parents would basically go to brunch expecting to pay for themselves and be ambushed by my parents into paying for M. I'm just glad I was told the night before or we'd never be doing anything as an entire family again.

I've been really hurt over this. It's taken a few days of thinking about it and I've finally figured out why.

In male/female relationships, it is the responsibility of the man to make Mothers' Day special. In female/female relationships no one has the responsibility. So I had developed an expectation that the responsibility for making our first Mothers' Day special should fall onto the shoulders of my parents. I know they didn't recognize this, but it made their quibbling over $35 feel particularly hurtful. Especially because they aren't exactly poor and they've ALWAYS paid for us when we all go out.

All I wanted for our Mothers' Day was to have my whole family together and to have the brunch we missed at Easter because we'd just brought Finn home. Because of M. being laid off, our finances are tight and the gift I wanted from my parents was for them to pay for our meal. Instead we not only paid for our own Mothers' Day brunch, we didn't even get a card from my parents. Or flowers. Just a mylar balloon...for ME. Yes, you know what's coming.

I know I sound whiney and spoiled. I probably am quite spoiled, although I NEVER take my parents generousity for granted. I call them, show up for family functions, send cards, acknowledge important occasions, arrive on time and often put aside things we are doing to spend time with them.

And YES, we did give both our mothers a card and gift...awesome, customized little brag books of Finn from Shutterfly.

The Smother Mother

The other issue with my mom is that she's smothering us when it comes to Finn. My parents visit once a week. She calls every single day. When she's here, she hovers over me and constantly asks to hold Finn. Right when I need my mother the most, she is refusing to be a mother to me. Being a grandmother is all consuming for her.

At the brunch Finn was really fussy. There was just too much to look at. We had to hold him constantly and bounce him to help soothe him.

Instead of letting us take care of him, my mother was constantly trying to hold him. When she did, he would fuss. She was trying to take pictures, asking M. to stop bouncing him so she could take one. All that did was start Finn crying again. At one point she started shaking the mylar balloon at Finn as he cried and I had to tell her to stop because it was too much stimulation.

Then the topper...I gave Finn to M. and got up to get some food. He started fussing and my mother said "Oh, he wants his mother."

Um, yeah. Nevermind that HIS MOTHER was holding him.

So, we're going a little crazy. I know she loves him. I know she means well. But she's being entirely inappropriate on so many levels. It's a little like having her decide to have the circumcision discussion one day post c-section...her timing is CRAP. Here we are, new parents, and because of her behavior, we have to deal with something that we shouldn't have to deal with right now. Instead of taking care of us, my mother is only taking care of herself...even at the expense of Finn and his needs.

8 Comments:

At 5/16/2007 4:21 AM, Blogger Hope said...

Sorry about the crap. I fear that this might just be the way of the grandma. They are scary and not to be trusted!

 
At 5/16/2007 6:39 AM, Blogger Jude said...

"Oh, he wants his mother."

Man, I would have DIED. DIED, I tell you! I bet you have much more grace than I do. I am /dreading/ (with a capital D) hearing comments like that from my family. I know that some of them are safe (my brother, for example, sent both of us Mother's Day cards, and my mom wished us both a Happy Mother's Day), but I am on the lookout for comments from Grandma. *sigh*

You have made me feel fortunate that both of our parents live far away. I'm sorry you had to have a bad experience, though.

For what it's worth, Happy Mother's Day to you and Megan! You are great mamas!!!

 
At 5/16/2007 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
You might not want to hear this - all you're going through with your mum is absolutely normal!!! Believe me when they turn into grannies you unleash a beast!!!But it does get easier as you get used to it and have strategies to cope (usually a big glass of something strong when they've gone!!)
My mum is exactly the same and our daughter is 2 and a 1/2. She is still as fussy but she has learnt over time that sometimes she needs to hang back or the little lady will tell her where to go - it's great when they start talking!! Over time mum has also seen how we can both have mothering roles and how my partner does feel L is her daughter even though they have no biological conection which to begin with she could't get her head around. It's taken time for them to get used to our family and things like mothering sunday do bring issues up. The important thing is to realise all families, even those bizarre ones with mums and dads!, have issues with grandparents. The important thing i think is to only try and resolve issues which you feel really strongly about (i.e. foods you don't want to give to the baby, bed-time routines, language used)by just being firm about what you do and how you do it. The fussing is unbearable but sometimes the best answer is to give the baby to them and leave them to it - they then realise they don't have all the answers!!!
Sorry if this all sounds a little preachy but it really does get easier as the baby grows, you get more sleep and the world feels a little more back to normal - and that time will come believe me.
Your son is gorgeous and it sounds like you're doing a really good job to me - just look at his cute, happy face to remind yourself what fab moms you are!!
N

 
At 5/16/2007 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, the way your mom is treating M is really beyond belief. I'm so sorry that you both had to go through that on Mothers' Day.

as for the smothering... I guess we're pretty lucky in that my cantankerous brother had the first grandchild and he was brutally effective in putting my parents in their places as grandparents. Almost too much so as it was hurtful and confusing for us at first because we remember my parents jumping over themselves to help out and volunteer services with our niece, but with us they kept quiet. It took us getting over our initial response of hurt to ask them what was up and it turns out that my brother had them so trained that grandparents need to sit back and waiting politely for their turn that they were sure we would feel the same way.

 
At 5/16/2007 5:01 PM, Blogger ArdensMommy said...

"Right when I need my mother the most, she is refusing to be a mother to me. Being a grandmother is all consuming for her."

This struck home ... D said the same thing to her mom at one point. Her focus had become entirely on being Arden's grandma and well, being a mother was just gone.

Happy (belated) First Mother's Day.

And oh, um, when we go out to brunch with them, regardless of the holiday, but especially on Mother's Day? *WE* pay for the whole family. I still haven't figured that one out. Sigh.

Erin

 
At 5/16/2007 9:18 PM, Blogger party b said...

Ditto to most of what everyone said.

Smothering sounds like my mom.

For us it was helpful to be direct with my mom and couch it in a statement about what she COULD do. It has gotten better.

 
At 5/17/2007 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree about it just being a grandmother thing that will go away. You have to stand up for your family and not accept being treated as anything less. If your mom is referring to M not as Finn's mom, that's a HUGE problem. Just because Finn can't understand what was said, doesn't mean he didn't feel the anxiety level of his mom rise when she was told she wasn't his mom. I'm sure this stress contributed to his fussiness. You all deserve never to be treated like that again. I would have a serious talk with your mom about what language is appropriate to use with your family and if she can't accept that, then she can't accept who Finn is. ARG, I'm so sorry your going through this!

 
At 5/17/2007 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that this is just the grandmother way a lot of the time. I've found that it's easier to just let them do what they want, even if that means the little one fusses a while, so they can get their fill of their grandchild. And any unwelcomed advice or comments get a polite smile and then are immediately thrown out. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home