Saturday, January 21, 2006

Q&A Part IV

Are DtD and BF expecting to be parents some day?
Yes

Do they want to adopt or use a surrogate (or donate to another couple?)
I've learned that there are gay men who are okay adopting and there are gay men who feel strongly that they want to use a surrogate. DtD and BF fall into the latter catagory. He and I talked about his desire to have children and how they would do it a long time ago. I think they would start their own Project Baby in a couple years.

I don't know if DtD would donate to another couple.

What are your thoughts on half siblings?
Yay! Half-sibs are great. Actually we stipulated in our contract that we'll be made aware of any half-sibs. Really, what is wrong with more family?

Do you really think DtD can keep this whole giant thing from his parents?
I don't know. I still haven't told my 'rents that M. and I went to North Carolina to check out UNC for a week right after graduating from college. That was 13 years ago. I think it can be done. I'm can't forsee the emotional toll. We have not dictated if he can or can't tell his family so it's totally his bidness.

If not, have you discussed if there would be any type of relationship allowed to develop?
We would have zero relationship develop. It's just the best way to keep things clear for our future child. I think if DtD were to come to us and say it was VERY important to him, MAYBE I would be open to DtD's mum meeting the kid as long as both M. and I were there. I'm pretty sure M. is NOT open to this and it would have to be okay with both of us to happen.


Please ask more questions if you have them. I'll answer anything.

3 Comments:

At 1/21/2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Lo said...

An interesting gay male alternative family story: friends of my parents have a son (we'll call him J.) who did the following with his partner:
--got a donated egg
--did IVF with donated egg and J's sperm
--implanted embryo into J's ex-girlfriend (who must obviously still be a friend)
--had Birth Event with J's parents
--asked the question, is the child Jewish if the egg came from a non-Jewish woman but the surrogate was Jewish. (the answer, apparently, is yes. who knew.)

 
At 1/21/2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a cool story! I love that we can go outside the conventional boundaries of family.

 
At 1/22/2006 4:33 AM, Blogger Shelli said...

Hey! You guys shuold go to Seattle Rep and See Radio Golf before Narda heads home on Thursday....

It's a great play! Of course, had I read your profile BEFORE today, we could have met for coffee when I was out there a few weeks ago....

alack and alas.

Next time, however!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home