Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Baby Sucked Out My Brain!

M. and I were in the car a few days ago listening to NPR and an article came on about the brain and pregnancy. Here is what we learned:
  • A woman's brain will shrink 8% during pregnancy.
  • It won't return to normal until six months post partum.
  • After our brains grow back, we actually emerge SMARTER.
Yikes.

During our first trimester I was a bit of an airhead. I had no idea. The real forgetfulness didn't kick in until the second tri.

Pregnancy brain is much more than simple airheadedness. I absolutely can't remember a damn thing. I've started repeating things I need to remember over and over until I actually do them. I'm not surprised a pregnant woman's brain shrinks. I've never experienced anything like my sieve brain in my life. And I'm someone who relies heavily on her memory. It's all about the brain rewiring for motherhood.

At least I'll be smarter. Ha ha. Watch out world.

7 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I found I had to write everything down. Grocery lists, errands to run, etc. It's a pain, but it helps.

 
At 12/18/2006 9:07 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

My brain only "went" a couple of weeks ago. In some ways I find it quite funny, as I've never had sieve brain before either. But it is quite frustrating!
I'm a list-maker by nature anyway, but those lists are coming into their own now, or I'll forget to do really urgent stuff.

 
At 12/18/2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily, I'm a list maker too. My boys are 10 months old, and I'm still waiting for my brain to grow back. Yesterday, I stood in an elevator with our stroller for a good three minutes before I realized that I had yet to press a button... duh. What happened to me? May your brain grow back faster than mine! :)

 
At 12/18/2006 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with that! I lost my brain when pregnant with #1, I wouldn't say it exactly came back because you get baby smarter, but more preoccupied. I am pregnant with #2 and could probably lose my car in my garage!

But, the little stinkers are SO worth it!

 
At 12/18/2006 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about the brain shrinkage. I think it was on 20/20. Didn't know about the smartness later on. Sweet! ;)

 
At 12/19/2006 4:47 PM, Blogger Momai said...

I missed that one. what show was it on?

 
At 12/22/2006 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to do sudokus for fun at work between patients and could do an "easy" level one in about 15 minutes and a "medium" in about 45. Now it takes me a fair part of the day to do the "easy"! My brain is definitely slowing down when it comes to actually thinking things through and doing problem solving, rather than just performing routine tasks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home