Thursday, February 01, 2007

Maternity Leave and Being an RN

Per Mermaidgrrrl's request, time to talk about how my grand country treats its babies.

The States has total and utter crap for maternity leave. End of story. Which is entirely embarrassing considering how much wealth and privilege exist in this country. It is clearly wealth and privilege at the expense of our citizens and ultimately our children.

Everyone in the States is eligible for what is called the Family Medical Leave Act. This is time that you can take off work for family emergencies, medical issues and birth. You get twelve weeks. The time is unpaid. The benefit of FMLA is that your employer can't fire you while you're gone. Oh, and you get to keep your insurance. Goody.

There is no paid leave in the U.S. Okay, I'm wrong. I think California will give you six weeks of your salary which you can stretch out over twelve weeks. Other than that you can either go onto short term disability in some states or you have nothing.

In our case, I have nothing from the state.

So how do we do maternity leave? Well, clearly, some new mothers in this country don't really get much. I personally know people who are back to work four or six weeks after birth. In my case, I have about two months of sick/vacation/holiday time saved up. I'm eligible for the twelve weeks because of FMLA, but my union has negotiated that I can take four months. I'll be taking the four months off and my employer (the state) will stretch my leave over that time but let me keep my full-time status.

The good news is that Washington State is taking up the issue of giving paid maternity leave and there is some movement on the federal level as well.

Being an RN and Pregnant

Mermaidgrrrl said that in Australia nurses aren't allowed to work past 32 weeks unless they have a note from a doc. That is incredibly civilized. My government has no such concerns regarding my health.

Being an RN bring a certain amount of risk to the pregnancy beyond just the simple high rate of workplace violence or the inherent stres of the job. The main one is preterm labor. There is a higher rate of preterm labor amongst nurses, primarily because we have a job that requires us to be on our feet for hours upon hours. My country has decided that protecting nurses is not as important and that long NICU stays for preterm infants and the burden to the state of life-long disabilities from babies being born too early are acceptable costs.

But that's pretty typical of the U.S. healthcare system. We hide our costs. We accept people using the emergency room for their primary care, waiting until they are terminally ill before seeking help, and the cost burden that places on the system because over our dead bodies will we actually help people in need. Pull yourself up from your bootstraps, and out of the that crack house, and away from sexual and physical abuse and make something of yourself. And if you happen to NOT be able to get out of the life you were simply born into? Well, fuck off.

I'll work until 38 weeks.

I do this knowing that I'm sacrificing time with our son, but I think it's the best choice I can possibly make. I can't leave earlier because it will deeply cut into my time at home. Most people in the States will work until their water breaks, and there are nurses on my floor who did just that.

The saving grace? I only ever work two days in a row. Yes, they are twelve hour shifts, but studies have shown a reduction in preterm labor with being on the floor fewer days. And thanks to all my unplanned ultrasounds, I know that my cervix is still nice and long.

The downside. I'm fucking tired, and my job means that my days off are usually spent recovering, not being useful. This makes things very hard for M. who is left holding up the household and all the work we need to do at home and I lie blotto on the couch.

Okay, end of rant. That's our shitty healthcare system, our shitty lack of care for new mothers and the needs of children. It's just shitty all around.

16 Comments:

At 2/01/2007 7:26 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Actually, not everyone in the States is eligible for FMLA. You have to have been at your job for over a year at the time you take your leave, and your employer must have more than a certain number of employees. This exempts a lot of small businesses, and effectively traps me at my current job. I can't leave this job and get another and then get pregnant within three months of getting the new job, because then (providing there are enough employees at my new job to make the workplace eligible in the first place) I won't have been at my current job for over a year. Lovely, eh?

Of course, I AM looking for a new job, hoping that if they make me an offer I can lay my cards on the table wrt trying to get pregnant and that I would like to be able to take a leave of absense regardless of whether I've been there a year or not by the time my kid is born. Sometimes I wish I lived almost anywhere but here.

 
At 2/01/2007 7:41 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That does suck! :( Here in Canada we get up to 1 year of leave and collect unemployment while on leave. Your employer may or may not top you up (mine won't cuz they suck). I get to collect 55% of my salary up to a maximum of $413/week (less after taxes). So yeah, I get to make less than 50% of my salary but I'm grateful that I get money and I get a full year. They fought for the year so that women could breastfeed since they say breastfeeding is so important in that first year. There are rules about how many months you have to work before your leave in order to collect and be eligible to keep your job. You can start your leave before you give birth since there is "pregnancy" leave and "parental" leave.

I am working until 39 weeks. I just feel like I don't want to take off time when Riley's not here and we could use the extra money.

I feel for you because I know nursing is very demanding (my mom's a nurse--dealing mostly with chronic care). Thankfully I have a desk job (computer programmer) so I get to sit all day and take it easy. Hence my 39 week date. If I make it to 39 weeks...

I agree with you about healthcare. I think everyone should be entitled to healthcare. I'd rather pay high taxes than have the average person go broke getting medical attention.

 
At 2/01/2007 8:36 AM, Blogger Mikki said...

I've got to add a little plug for corporate American here, because I'm one of the lucky ones. My employer is paying me 100% of my salary for a 10-week maternity leave. I will use 2 weeks of my paid time off to complete a three-month maternity leave. It's not a lot of time, it's not perfect, and only those people who have worked here for 1 year are eligible.

BUT, it's something more than the government gives. I will lose no money or benefits, and I will get three months to spend with my daughter.

Upon my return, I'll work a flexible schedule, with some possible telecommuting. They offer a mother's suite that provides comfortable chairs and other ammenities to encourage pumping and breastfeeding. My manager is extremely supportive, and is willing to work with me.

It's not perfect, but I am smart enough to realize how lucky I am to have any benefit at all. Without this benefit, I would be taking a three week maternity leave (because that is all we would be able to afford).

I work for Latham & Watkins. The fourth biggest law firm in the county.

 
At 2/01/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to make the same point that Trista made - it's actually a worse situation than you described. Sure, there are some case-by-case exceptions, as Kelly & Mikki pointed out, but paid leave is by no means the norm. We also lag behind many of our peers in terms of supporting child care options for working families. Our public policies do not reflect the modern American family in so many ways.

 
At 2/01/2007 3:48 PM, Blogger tifferny said...

as small business owners, my husband and i fought to get full maternity leave benefits for our employees. NO it ain't cheap (thanks to our supportless government who continously shits on small businesses)- but it is ethical and important to us. i only hope more small business owners will follow in our footsteps.

 
At 2/01/2007 3:56 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Chiming in on the Canadian front, one nice thing that the new government has done here, is once you go back to work (and even before), you get $100 a month per child under the age of 5. That's not a lot, but it's something.

I hope that there is a movement in the States the maternity leave is improved, it would be better for moms and better for babies.

 
At 2/01/2007 4:10 PM, Blogger Briar said...

With good timing, a teacher/school librarian like myself can get a good stretch of time but the money is only good if you manage to hit the right month. If The Penguin had survived, I would have take the rest of the school year off AND had the summer off AND only gone 4 weeks without pay. With my new August due date, I will get about 14 weeks off work but only 8 will be paid. There is a tricky thing where we get the FMLA 12 weeks off (and legally that has to be 12 weeks that you would normally be working so doesn't include summer) but we only get 8 PAID weeks and that counts from delivery. I am very nervous about how we are going to live without my pay check for 6 weeks, but there's always debt. Heh.

If I had stayed at my last job, I would be getting 2 paid weeks, so I actually feel lucky.

 
At 2/01/2007 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FMLA requires 50 employees at a company. My company, at 35 people, graciously (HAHA) allowed me to take the twelve weeks, but seems to be holding it against me now. Gotta love it.

 
At 2/01/2007 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were lucky that the government of Quebec, Canada had started a new program just before our son arrived. I have 25 weeks at 70% of my salary and 25 weeks at 55% of my salary. 32 of those weeks are actually parental leave, meaning that either my partner or I could have taken them. In addition, my partner had 5 weeks at 70% of her salary (still called paternity leave by the gov't, but we're working on that!) We chose to take these right after Ben was born and I can't think how I would have managed without her.

A really nice feature of the Quebec program is that independent workers are eligible. I work contract and also do independent work so this was a huge benefit for me. Basically, any income you declare on the previous year's taxes is calculated for your benefits.

On top of this, during the parental leave (ie after the first 18 weeks) you can earn up to 25% of your benefits through part time work. I've been teaching one course since Ben was 4 months old which has given us some extra cash and also allows me to do something different for 1/2 day a week.

Not surprisingly the birth rate in Quebec is up this year for the first time in a long, long time.

 
At 2/02/2007 12:35 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

OMG - I can't believe how bad things are in the US. Do they hate mums and babies in the government or something? I'm going to post about my leave and pay entitlements on my blog. I feel so sorry for US nurses!

 
At 2/02/2007 6:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, I am Ursula, a Pediatric Nurse from Austria.
Please come and live here!
We Austrians complain that mothers have to return to their jobs 2 years after birth opposed to 3 years as it was about ten years ago. We must not work after 32 weeks of pregnancy and with women who have strenious jobs with long shifts or hard work to do, doctors are quite liberal and sign them off sick early in pregnancy already. We also must not return to work earlier than eight weeks after a spontaneous delivery, twelve weeks after a c-section. Those mothers who stay home to raise their children during the first two years of life get a monthly 432 Euro whether or not they had worked before getting pregnant. This is not enough money to pay for rent and living expenses, so you still have to have savings or have to depend on other state wellfare. But considering what it is like in other countries I feel ridiculous now, that I ever had fears or doubts about being able to be a SMBC (well, to become one is a very difficult thing in Austria on the other hand)
Thank you for your blog, you are such a talented writer and so many times I have drawn hope from your experiences and was able to smile again!

 
At 2/02/2007 9:53 AM, Blogger tifferny said...

Mermaidgrrrl - Yes. Oh man, I feel a rant coming on….strap yourself in folks!

Our government is predominantly made up of white, Anglo-Saxon MEN. Men who, for the most part, don't give two shits about their own families, let alone the families of other Americans – and CERTAINLY not the families of gay couples. And here we are. The richest, and self proclaimed ‘most powerful country in the world’. What constitutes this ‘power’? The fact that we can blow anyone up that we want? What about getting back to the basics of providing for families instead of spending all of our goddamn money on wars? Don’t get me wrong. I love the United States. But, thanks in large part to our dysfunctional government, our country’s value system is FUCKED!
I was a teacher for many years and witnessed, first hand, the effects of ‘daycare babies’ and many cases of ‘Abandoned Baby Syndrome’. Yes, there is such an epidemic that it actually got a medical label. There is so much pressure placed on moms having to return to work too soon (hell, we have to make a living to provide for our families, right?). The children are the ones who ultimately suffer the deepest. It is so unfair.

Ursula – TWO YEARS? Wow…Austria’s maternal leave policies sound divine. Too bad we can’t implement something similar in the U.S.

Rant over. Sorry if I offended anyone in the process.

 
At 2/02/2007 1:58 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Where I work, women who've had babies can go on disability (half-pay) for a certain amount of their leave (maybe a month??). Which is lame, and doesn't even begin to address needs of othermoms, dads, and adoptive parents.

 
At 2/02/2007 4:38 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Lois ended up getting fired, which she asked for basically.
Her boss only had 2 employees, so every single state and federal law didn't apply.
She knew she wanted to leave anyway, so she'll file for unemployment after the baby comes and she can find a better job.
My job is very liberal with vacation time, and has "parenting" leave that is unpaid beyond that.
Our country sucks!

 
At 3/28/2007 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It also only works if you work 60% or more of the time. We decided that I'd work 50% time to make room for all the fertility appointments, etc, and then I'd be set for part time after PG. Well, I may be out of a job since FMLA won't protect me, regardless of my being there for years. And if they do keep me, I lose 50% of my salary to daycare.

 
At 7/11/2014 6:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am also a RN pregnant with my second son. I am already 35 weeks, still working. Luckily, I was able to get a light duty position after 26 weeks, so I don't have to work on the floor as a staff nurse. I don't qualify for FMLA, because I am part-time (I did not work over 1125hours last year). I am also a student going to school full-time for my Master's degree, that's why I can't work full-time as an RN. Basically, I don't have short-term disability, so I don't get any pay from other sources. I can only use my vacation time, sick leave time, and holiday time, which I have saved over the years. I am planning to stretch it out to 16 weeks, but after paying for health insurance, I think I may have $250-300 bi-weekly. Stinks!! I will use the 16 weeks to spend time with my little one, family, and going back to school. Story of my life for now at least! Some of you are just so lucky to have paid maternity leave!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home